Hitting the gym isn’t enough to keep you healthy and fit. You have got to fuel the right way to make the most of your workout.
When it comes to eating, there doesn’t have to be a rigid schedule but there are some rules you should follow before, during and after your workout.
Before the workout
- Eat 2 hours before your workout
- Drink water to hydrate yourself
- Eat healthy carbs such as whole grain cereals, brown rice, vegetables and fruits
- For a dose of protein, drink some low-fat milk
During the workout
- Just hydrate with water. You don’t need to eat during a
- Energy bars and certain fruits like banana are recommended only for long, vigorous, high intensity workouts (like the ones athletes follow).
After the workout
- It is important to refuel after a workout, so eat within an hour after you finish.
- Drink water.
- Eat carbs (whole wheat grain, brown rice) to provide energy and help in recovery.
- Eat fruits and vegetables
- Eat foods containing protein (yogurt, milk) to help repair and grow your muscles.
You can use these guidelines to create meal plans that work for you. Nutrition is just as important for the body as working out.