Have you ever noticed celebrities like Olivia Palermo, Kate Middleton and Lauren Conrad and wondered how they manage to look so well put-together and stylish no matter what they are wearing? You will see these ladies look just as good running errands as they do on the red carpet.
So how do they get this fresh, effortless and tasteful look? And how can you look that great without spending like an A-list celebrity?
A comprehensive approach is needed to improve your entire appearance. We have put together tips on what you can do to start looking better in terms of your wardrobe and beauty. Look classy and expensive by following this guide.
Fashion and Clothing
Looking great in what you wear is less about how expensive your clothes are and more about your style. (Read about how to create your personal style here) You can spend thousands of dollars and still look cheap if you lack good taste. And the beauty about good taste is that it can be found at any price point.
Classy, expensive-looking clothes are ones that seem refined and understated instead of blingy and in-your-face. Anything that looks like you are trying to show-off will come off as trashy.
- Always keep at least one piece each of a classic style in your wardrobe. Blue jeans, white shirt, LBD, blazer and basic heels never go out of style. They can be easily paired with other classics and on-trend items too.
- Either stick to a basic color palette with neutral colors like white, brown, black, beige, navy or decide on a color palette where color combinations do not look like a circus. Neutral colors are the best choice as it is easy to pair them up with both subtle and loud colors.
- Only wear one statement piece at a time and let it shine. For example, if your heels are extravagant and loud, keep the rest of your outfit simpler. If your dress or jacket is a statement piece keep everything else really subtle with minimal or no jewelry. In the same sense if a statement neck piece is what you want to wear, keep your outfit really tame. Furthermore, if you mix up too many things, all of which scream for attention, then it is nothing short of a fashion disaster.
- Invest in good quality accessories that will complement and enhance even the simplest of outfits. Nice shoes, jewelry, watch, handbags and sunglasses are just some of the choices available. Choose classic designs which you can wear with most of the clothes in your wardrobe.
- Buy the ideal size for you and additionally, find a tailor who can make your clothes fit perfectly. There is nothing less attractive than ill-fitted clothes that look like they don’t belong.
Keep these tips in mind whenever you shop or decide to revamp your wardrobe to create a tasteful and chic collection.
No amount of designer clothing can make you look good if your skin doesn’t look beautiful. It is the first thing anyone notices and the thing that they are most likely to remember. You want your skin to look healthy, glowing and radiant at all times. But that does not always mean spending on high-end products. You can easily find a lot of drugstore cosmetics that do the job just fine. So start with a healthy skincare beauty routine.
- Cleanser: Find a natural, chemical-free cleanser that effectively cleans your skin but doesn’t strip it of natural oils.
- Exfoliator/Scrub: By scrubbing away dead cells, exfoliation will give your skin a fresh glow and help other products, that you apply later on, work more efficiently on your skin. Only exfoliate once or twice a week.
- Serum: Serums are formulated to target specific skin issues like ageing, pigmentation, acne, etc. Choose one that addresses a problem you would like to fix.
- Moisturizer: Moisturizing your skin is the most important tool to keep it dewy and fresh.
- Sunscreen: It is the only thing that can save your skin from the sun and other external factors that age the skin.
- Eye cream: Under-eye skin is very thin and tends to lose moisture fast. So investing in an eye cream is just as important as the rest of your face.
- Tip: find products that suit your skin type. For e.g., oily skin type would be better off using gel-based products instead of oil-based ones.
Check out the Korean skincare routine for more details.
Is a daily skincare routine enough? Is there something else that you could explore?
- You can start getting facials once a month, either traditional salon facials or peel treatments that only dermatologists can do. If this costs too much, you can go the professional way for special occasions and simply do a facial at home otherwise. Check out our article on how to do a salon-style facial at home. It will be lighter on your pocket and your skin will thank you for it.
- Opt for face masks. They could be mud-masks for deep-cleaning your skin or hydrating masks for extra nourishment. Another option is to invest in hydrating sheet masks and use them once a week for a dewy and fresh complexion.
- Microdermabrasion can give you glowing skin by sanding the skin to increase cell turnover and produce collagen. You can buy an at-home kit from your local drugstore and do it yourself, instead of spending dollars for a professional microdermabrasion.
- Facial massage is a great way to plump up your skin and reduce signs of ageing. Either go to a facialist or learn basic techniques from professionals who willingly share this information on the web for free.
So your face is cared for. What about the rest of your body?
Use body scrubs once or twice a week to exfoliate skin and use hydrating lotions and oils regularly to moisturize your body, especially hands, feet, elbows, knees and ankles.
What can you eat for great skin?
- The answer to that question is as simple as low-glycemic, fresh foods. Low-glycemic refers to low sugar (both natural and artificial) content. Sugars tend to damage collagen making your skin age faster and unable to repair it.
- Drinking plenty of water will rid your body of toxins.
Beauty experts swear by Greek yogurt and coconut water as favorite skin foods. What you eat and how healthy your system really is, all shows up on your skin eventually. Check out quick and healthy breakfast recipes guide.
What are the best activities for great skin?
Workout! Just 20-30 minutes of daily exercise can improve circulation and make your skin glow.
Most important of all, sleep a good 8-10 hours and adopt ways to reduce stress. You will see a big difference in your skin’s health.
Beautiful hair looks healthy, shiny and voluminous. It is not dull, frizzy or dry. If you can afford a hair spa treatment, you can go for it. But if not, then you can follow few simple and cheap tips on a regular basis to care for your hair.
- Do not wash your hair every day. This will strip natural oils from your hair and scalp. Wash twice or thrice a week.
- Use a shampoo with high glycerin content for smooth, non-frizzy hair.
- Always apply conditioner after wash, whether one that is leave-in or one that needs rinsing.
- Use soft microfiber cloth to blot out moisture so your hair is not roughened up.
- Use heat appliances on your hair to the minimum. Always apply product that protects hair from heat before using any of these styling appliances.
- Use dry shampoo not only for cleaning your hair, but also to add volume and texture.
- You can use thickening spray on wet hair to make your hair look voluminous and soft.
- Conditioning oils can be applied to hair to nourish them and make them shine without the greasy look. You can also prepare hair masks at home for healthy and shiny hair.
- Sleep on a silk pillowcase to keep hair smooth.
- Flip hair upside down and then brush hair from underneath for more volume.
- You can either get your hair colored at a salon every 3-6 months or do it yourself at home. Choose carefully which shade to color your hair in. Choose a shade closer to your natural hair color for low maintenance. If you don’t want to color, then getting a clear gloss is the cheapest and best way to get shiny and gorgeous hair and that is what a well-done hair job should be about.
- The less often you wash colored hair, the longer color will stay.
Makeup that looks expensive isn’t one that is visible on your skin. It looks like it comes from within and enhances your features instead of hiding them.
- You should choose makeup colors that match your natural skin color. If you veer too far off from your natural color, it will look cakey and artificial.
- Instead of slathering foundation as it is, you can dilute it with either a little water or your moisturizer to give you a sheer look where you skin will look flawless but the makeup won’t be visible.
- Apply highlighter on your upper cheekbones for a glowing effect.
- Powder your T-zone at the end and only if you really need it.
- Use mascara for your lashes instead of using fake eyelashes.
- Make sure your lips are exfoliated and moisturized with a lip balm before applying lipstick.
Makeup that looks rich never overpowers your facial features. Always blend all elements of your makeup really well so it looks like it comes from within.